Saturday, September 25, 2010

The Steak Salad was a SALAD!

These are the two big things on my mind right now.  One is sort of important, the other , not even slightly. 

First, there are steak salads, and there are STEAK SALADS, in the Pittsburgh sense.  A Pittsburgh steak salad has the following ingredients:  pieces of char-broiled steak, a few odd pieces of lettuce and a couple of tomatoes (put there so a person can, semi-legitimately, refer to the dish as a salad, I suppose) , a huge pile of cheese and an equally huge pile of french fries.  The entire thing is drenched with a choice of salad dressing(I prefer ranch, lots and lots of ranch).  The thing, appropriately prepared, has  thousands upon thousands of calories and a week's worth of sodium. 

Follow me here.....One of the teachers with whom I am now working  has been asking me to go places with her, and I've been so busy, and, quite frankly, turned in on myself to the point that I was not in the mood to exert the effort that making a new friend always requires.  Therefore, I have been making excuses (actually, they weren't excuses in the strictest sense of the word.  I HAVE been busy)  At any rate, yesterday I asked her if she wanted to drive into town after school and have dinner.  I felt sort of bad for not being more open.  So, we drove into town and went to a place where I had never been.  On the menu was a steak salad!!!!!

Thrilled!  Oh my gosh,  I was thrilled.   Having been eating healthfully for the entire week, I was looking forward to this splurge.  The steak salad arrived, and sunufagun!, if it wasn't a salad!!!!!  It had steak, for sure.  It also had lots and lots of different types of lettuce, tomatoes, red onion, cucumbers, tender little asparagus spears  and a tasty vinagarette dressing.    What it did NOT have was french fries and cheese.  OK, the salad as it was served wasn't bad, pretty good, actually.  However, if one has been anticipating an artery clogging, diet busting, Pittsburgh steak salad, one was in for a disappointment.  This 'one' was definitely disappointed.  No question. 

I had to console myself with an order of fry bread.  Then, back on the wagon.

The second thing I have been thinking about is this...All of my adult life, I have been working in environments where I am in the, racially speaking, minority. It wasn't planned, it's just the way the thing worked out.  Why haven't people picked on me in the same way, if my Caucasian associates  are to be believed, they are picked on????  I can't tell you how many times someone has said to me, 'Well, THEY (insert your own minority here), didn't like me, because I was White.'  And, truth be told, I can count on one hand, and have a finger or two left over, the times I have been treated differently due to my race.  Yes, I have had disagreements with people..  I have even lost my temper to such a point that I have invited the other person out to the parking lot to settle an issue. ( As I have aged, I've done that less and less.  For one thing, I've calmed down.  For another, my body can't back up my mouth, anymore)   But, it was never race related, I felt.  So, is it because I am deluded?  Am I not perceptive?  No and No. I am extremely perceptive, and the last time I was deluded involved my ex, and we won't go there. 

This is what I have decided:  The others, who report being picked on because of race, aren't being  picked on either.   I think this has to do with what Michael Moore refers to as a paranoic condition  of   many White people.  These are the truly deluded people. Everytime someone has an issue with them, they interpret is as race related.  I figured this out, I think, when I realized that the people who report that they are not liked because of their race are  people that I don't , particularly, care for either.  I don't  dislike them, because they are  White. I'm white.  No,   I dislike them, because they are  idiots! 

Well, now that I've figured this out, I will get back to the work I have to do for this course that my cousin, Jana, advised me not to take.  I should have listened. 

No comments:

Post a Comment