Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Happy Birthday, Grandmother Baker

Today my Grandmother Baker would have been 111 years old.  To be absolutely honest about it, I did  not appreciate my Grandmother when I was growing up.  My Grandad, now that was another matter.  I adored him and would have walked to China if he had asked me to do it.  But, I was a grown woman before I realized how much my Grandmother Baker had taught me.

Oddly enough this mess in Tuscon has brought her to my mind and heart.  My Grandmother believed that the Bible was a literal gift from God.  She believed that a real Adam and a real Even lived in the Garden Eden, and that the world had been created in six days, and on the seventh day the Lord rested.  I can remember once , as a kid,  I said something absolutely heretical in Sunday School.  I am pretty sure I said something about the veracity of the Immaculate Conception.  At any rate, one of my fellow Sunday School students went home and told his Mother who told my Grandmother who called my Father.  Ended up with me having to go talk to the Preacher.  Daddy told me to just sit there, listen and go tell Grandmother that I had seen the light.  Because Daddy so very rarely told me to do anything, when he did speak up, I listened.   It worried her, most dreadfully, when I converted to Judaism.  

But, here is what I learned from her.... No matter what her beliefs may have been, I do not believe that she ever, ever, not once, not ever  said an unkind word about anyone else's beliefs.   Everyone's beliefs and opinions were, to my Grandmother, to be treated with respect and politeness. Of course, I, also, knew that, once the person with the different beliefs was out of sight, my Grandmother would be on her knees praying for their soul. However, she would never have dreamed of hurting their feelings or being unkind.  It just was NOT something WE did.  I, so very much, wish that those who feel the need to rant, say hurtful things, do hurtful things to those who do not hold the same beliefs as they do, had known my Grandmother.

The other thing that I inherited from my Grandmother was her deep, deep, downright cellular love for her family.She breathed every breath she ever drew for her family .  Every morning, when my Grandad left for work, she would stand at the dining room window and wave good bye to him.  When I asked her why, she said she wanted to make sure that he knew that he was loved.  He did.

I am attaching this picture so you can see the way she looked at my Dad.  When I found this picture among my things, I posted it on my facebook page for my family to see.  I mentioned to my cousin, Jana, that I was unsure if the man she was looking at was my Dad or our Uncle Troy.  Jana nailed it when she said, 'Well, I hardly think Grandmother would be sitting there with her hand on Uncle Troy's knee, and besides, look at the way she is looking at your Dad.  That is her baby!'

Happy Birthday, Freda Lorraine Capps Baker. I'm sorry I was such a little snot, and if it helps, I named my first child after you.

7 comments:

  1. Today is Kim's birthday, too. I've felt so bad all these years because I didn't name her after Grandmother Baker, whose birthday she shared. I was young and totally oblivious to that fact at the time. I'll never forget stopping at Grandmother and Granddaddy's on the way home from the hospital to let them see Kim. Grandmother said in a sad little voice,"I thought since she was born on my birthday, I might have a little namesake." I felt like a dog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can beat that. You know how poor they were, and how often they had no money for Christmas presents? Well, when I was in college, she had wound yarn around some hangers for me to put my nicer clothes on. She gave them to me at the family party, and I forgot them when we left. I left for school right after that and didn't get back to get them until I was home about a month later. She looked at me with the saddest eyes, and I knew she thought I hadn't appreciated them. I felt so awful Now, I just keep thinking that the way she felt about the both us, we could have killed someone, and she would have forgiven us, or better yet, decided we didn't do it. Yeah, that's it...we could have been discovered standing by a dead body, holding blood stained weapons, and she would have just known we'd been framed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't that the truth! She definitely loved her family. I can't tell you how many times she saved Greg and John from the wrath of Grandad when they had pulled some fool stunt. Do you remember the time Grandad was sitting on the toilet and saw the feather mattress come sailing by the window? Greg and John had thrown it out the upstairs window to make a cushioned landing spot below! I can't remember now whether he was able to stop them from jumping or not. Probably so because I don't remember any broken arms or legs. Grandmother had to do some heavy intervention to save their hides on that one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had never heard that one, but I remember when Johnny and Greg tied Grandmother to a tree while they were playing cowboys and Indians. And, I remember when you got a brand new transistor radio, and we climbed out the back upstairs bedroom window to sunbathe on the roof over the dining room.Then, we started dancing while Grandaddy was eating his lunch, and he thought we were going to fall through onto the dining room table! Also, I remember when he came upstairs to find you and me sitting in the middle of that big feather bed, burning candles and pouring the wax on ourselves to see how hot it would get! He came up those stairs, took one look at us trying to burn ourselves and everything else up, walked back down and sent her up! If we had been boys, I think he would have whipped us.

    I don't know why I remember this nonsense. It amazes my brother, Tom, that this stuff hasn't disappeared from my memory!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely remember the boys tying Grandmother to a tree and the time you and I climed out onto the roof to sunbathe, but I guess I have successfully wiped the candle incident from my mind! Ha Ha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jaynie's bday is the 11th, too, as is Diane's son Donald's.

    I remember I wanted to be one of Grandma Baker's grandkids. She was so SWEET to me. I loved her. She didn't even yell when I whomped down the stairs on my butt, in my Sunday dress :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. She would have cut off her own arm before she yelled at a child, even one who richly deserved it. Testimony to that fact is that, after my brother and cousin, tied her to a tree, it was my Grandad who yelled at them. She ran interference for the little turkeys.

    ReplyDelete