Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Mother's Potato Salad

First, you need a Salad Master salad contraption, a Food processor of any other kind will not work. I don't know why.  I bought mine on E-Bay, Tom and John and, I think, Libby , also, have all got their own, as well.

1. 5 lbs of potatoes (Mother scrubbed hers, then peeled them after they had cooled.  I think that is doing a job twice. I peel them and then boil them, and  let them cool. (If you see Mother, do not tell her.  When she caught me doing this, AFTER I WAS MARRIED, IF YOU PLEASE, she threw a fit.
2.    Boil 6 eggs
3.  Onions--white, 2-3, a personal taste issue 

  Now, here is where it gets tricky, family 'discussions' have occurred over these last two ingredients (We discuss, we do not fight, that's what Mother used to say, and if she said that, you did yourself a favor and left the room)
4.  Dill  pickles (4-5 medium sized ), but the issue is, do they have to be kosher, do they have to be only Heinz?  I buy store brand  dill pickles and move on.  I don't like the fancy ones, cause they have all that dill and stuff floating around in the bottom. The only prejudice I have about pickles is that they be dill, and they be whole cucumbers, not pre-sliced.  Again, something about the pre-cut  ones makes the whole concoction taste different.
5.  A quart of either mayonnaise or Miracle Whip.  I prefer Mayonnaise, original. One of my brothers, I do not know which one, uses Miracle Whip.  Mother or Daddy preferred Miracle Whip, but again, I don't remember who preferred which.  What I do remember is that this, also,  was matter for  discussion every single time what we will, from here on out, refer to as THE DISH, was prepared.  They resolved it by alternating.

6.  Grind up all the ingredients, randomly. There are four blades with the salad master, a slicer, a cole slaw, a ripple and a fourth that is smaller than the ripple but bigger than the cole slaw. That's the one I use. 
7.  Get a large mayonnaise/miracle whip jar (bigger than the quart you bought), which you have saved just for this, you will need the lid, also.  Mother kept a couple in the cupboard just in case.  A sealable measuring cup would probably work, but I wouldn't know how to get the proportions right with anything else.  Put the mayonnaise you bought into the larger jar, add pickle juice from the pickles you  have.  I don't know how to tell you to do this, it's a learn as you go, sort of thing, you can always add more pickle juice, but it's harder to add more mayonnaise if you get it too thin, better to start with less pickle juice and add it til you get it the way you want it.  Add some salt, seal the jar and shake that sucker hard.  Open the jar, the thickness should be like buttermilk, maybe a little thicker.  Pour that onto the potato salad and spoon it all the way through until all the potato salad is coated.  Chill it for a couple of hours before you serve it, giving the mayo/pickle stuff time to soak through. 
There you have it. 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I have been coveting this recipe my entire adult life. I cannot wait to try it out. I'll let you know how it turns out.

    Did I say "Thank you"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope it worked out for you. I served it at my Easter luncheon here, and it was a real hit. Everybody likes that stuff.

    ReplyDelete